Positive Perspective: Life’s Too Short To Squander

Positive Perspective: Life’s Too Short To Squander

Campbell and I are. Happy to report that, we are, outside, enjoying the morning, and we had none of the issue like before. In fact since that time, I have held some great conversations with staff, and will be meeting with someone who will sit down with me, and start the process for me to consult as a Nonprofit Consultant, and help this most excellent staff, learn more of what is needed, when interacting with blind persons. I will also help them find good resources for other types of disAbilities, so that when they’re confronted with a need, they will be ready. WOW! What a difference a blog post, and standing up for one’s self, can make.

This morning I want to take a moment and tell you how I came to be in this most beautiful, and loving Skilled Care Center. I have to warn you, some of it is not beautiful.

First of all, you should know, I came, frighteningly close to death. On May 3RD, I went to the doctor, knowing something was wrong. I believed I had a UTI and I was indeed correct. However, I had no idea how very sick I was.

I’d all but stopped voiding urine, my blood pressure was dangerously high, and I was on the verge of being critically ill.

The doctors and I agreed, that the hospital would be my best option, and I began to make arrangements to make that so.

At first I thought I’d have Kingsport Area Transit, which I’d ridden to get there, take me home, and hen have my father drive me to hospital after I gathered mine and Campbell’s things.

That, however was not to be. When I called him, he was extremely annoyed, that I’d called, and as he put it, “Messed up his day.” He relunctently agreed for me to call him when I was ready to go, but as we were hanging up, he must’ve not realized his phone hadn’t disconnected, and I heard him say, “Well, there’s another day ruined by her foolishness.”

Upon hearing this, I quickly called, KATS (Kingsport Area Transit) and told them that I needed to, cancel the plans I’d made earlier to run errands after the doctor’s visit, and go home instead. I explained that I needed to gather some clothes, and things for Campbell, and then be transported to Holston Valley Hospital for admission, and treatment.

After some discussion with all necessary to make this happen, the very kind dispatcher, came onto the line, and told me to wait right where I was, that I van would pick me up, and I could go home, gather my things, and call when ready. She said they would transport me, and make sure I got where I needed.

Once I’d gotten those arrangements firmly into place, I texted my father, and told him, I no longer needed him. He texted back to ask if I were certain, did not ask how I would get there, if I needed anything, or even how bad my condition was. I did not hear from him again, until May 8 when I was to be released, to Asbury Place’s care.

During my stay at Holston Valley Hospital, I heard from no family, except my Sister Joan, who lives in Texas, and my nephew Aaron who lives above me. Joan, called, and messaged, every day that I was able to communicate, and Aaron texted twice. Once to answer my message letting him know I’d arrived, and once to ask if I knew about a rent increase at the home we rent. Other than that, I’ve been on my own.

During my time at Holston Valley, I became seriously ill. My blood pressure began to rise, my body did not immediately respond to antibiotic treatment, and at one point my blood pressure reached a deadly level of: 190/140.

I have to say, it was quite frightening, and had I not had the excellent care of the hospital staff, and doctors, I do not know if I would be here talking to you now.

The entire time I was in the hospital the staff assisted with Campbell’s care. They walked him, and made certain his Park Time schedule was maintained. He was even included in shift change reports. This, ladies and gents, is a true blessing. Why? Because facilities are required to allow the dog, not care for him, but their attitude was such that they believed, it necessary for my care. The unit nurse said, “Campbell is an extension of you, there-for, caring for him, is part of caring for you.

Finally the day came when I would be deemed, strong enough to leave the hospital, but it was a concern for me to go home. It had become quite obvious to all involved, that I had no home support. So, they assigned a case manager to me, and she went to work finding a place I could be, that would meet all of mine and Cammpbell’s needs, and, here we are.

There is yet more to this most incredible story, but I’ll leave it, for another day. I’m tiring now, and it is time for the aid to come and escort us back inside.

I’m not quite yet ready to do it on our own, so they walk with us back and forth. I am working Campbell now, so I am a lot further along in my recovery than ever.

I’d like to thank you for reading, and if you enjoyed this, please let us know.

Until next time, please remember, life can be taken away in an instant, don’t take anything for granted, and always treat those around you, who are in need, as you’d want to be treated if it were you.

This is Patty, and King Campbell, A.K.A Bubba saying…
Enjoy the day, may harmony find you, and blessid may you be.

Please excuse typos. The longer I sit up, and m outside, the shakier my hands become. I thank you for reading.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: