Become a Tame Your Tech member today if you need hands on training or tech help.
Keep reading to read the entire article. If you want to see any comments or to comment yourself, you’ll need to hit the link above and visit the article.
New Features in JAWS, ZoomText, and Fusion
The information below has been taken directly from Freedom Scientific. Updates are separated by headings making it easy to jump to your software of choice. Note that some of the features may overlap between JAWS, Fusion, and ZoomText as they routinely share features among the three products.
Enhancements in JAWS 2023.2303.144 (April 2023)
The following is a list of improvements made between the February 2023 update and the April 2023 update.
- In WhatsApp, JAWS now continuously plays the sound to indicate when a contact is typing until the other user sends the message or stops typing.
- Addressed an issue where pressing CTRL+DELETE or CTRL+BACKSPACE was not speaking the current word in WhatsApp.
- When pressing ALT+H in WhatsApp to move to the chat history, JAWS now places focus on the most recent message.
- In Edge and Chrome, when selecting a button on a web page that displays a dialog box, resolved an issue where the dialog content was not being automatically read by JAWS.
- Resolved an issue in certain tables on web pages where JAWS was incorrectly reading table headers for column headers.
- Addressed an issue where JAWS was not indicating the expanded or collapsed state of tree view items on web pages unless focus was moved away and back.
- Resolved issues with JAWS not properly announcing updates for live regions that use aria-atomic=false.
- Resolved an issue in Chrome and Edge where JAWS was not announcing autocomplete suggestions while typing in the address bar.
- Resolved an issue with the content of objects not always being read while navigating in Google Slides.
- Resolved an issue where JAWS was not automatically reading announcements from Gmail with the Virtual Cursor off.
- When inserting a table in Google Docs, addressed an issue where JAWS was not reading as expected while navigating the menu where you choose the specific columns and rows for the table.
- Addressed issues navigating tables in Google Docs using JAWS table reading commands (ALT+CTRL+ARROW keys).
- In Google Sheets, JAWS now indicates in braille when a cell has a formula.
- Addressed an issue in Google Sheets where input validation errors for cells were not being shown in braille.
- In Windows 11, resolved an issue where the selected item in the navigation pane of the Word 365 Open and Save As dialog boxes was not being shown in braille.
- When navigating a list of files in the Office 365 Open and Save As dialog boxes, resolved an issue where info in various columns was not being shown in braille.
- Addressed an issue where JAWS was not reading as expected when navigating combo boxes in Excel’s Conditional Formatting Rules manager.
- When renaming a worksheet in Excel, resolved an issue where JAWS was not indicating focus was in an edit field. This also addresses an issue where deleted characters were not being announced when using the DELETE key.
- When sending a message in Outlook to someone in your organization and Teams is also running, resolved an issue where JAWS was not announcing the recipient’s status.
- Addressed issues with JAWS not working as expected on the Windows 11 lock screen in some situations.
- Addressed an issue in File Explorer where JAWS was not announcing the selected item when using CTRL+SPACEBAR to select files non-contiguously.
- When launching a Command Prompt as an Administrator, resolved an issue where JAWS was not reading anything in speech or braille.
Updated the sample MSI scripts that are included when running the setup package with the /layout command-line argument.
Enhancements in ZoomText 2023.2303.77 and Fusion 2023.2303.33 (April 2023)
The following is a list of new features and improvements made between the February 2023 update and the April 2023 update.
- Smooth Mouse Panning is now enabled by default in the Early Adopter Program dialog. This ensures the “Enable smooth panning” and “Hold Shift key for smooth mouse panning” settings in the Navigation Settings dialog are available and selected. To change these settings, select the Magnifier toolbar tab > Navigation > Panning.
- Resolved an issue where focus enhancement was not working correctly in the Early Adopter Program dialog.
- When using the mouse wheel to scroll through a document, focus would unexpectedly return to the text cursor location. This has been fixed.
- Resolved an issue where ZoomText was not tracking in Word when multiple documents were open.
- ZoomText would sometimes close after turning off tooltips. This was observed in Windows 11 and has been fixed.
- Fusion correctly tracks, highlights, and speaks in Azure published apps.
- Resolved several issues with speech, tracking, and focus and cursor enhancements when running Fusion or JAWS on a VMWare Horizon server.
- Resolved several issues where typing echo by words, and text navigation by lines and words was not working when running ZoomText on a VMWare Horizon server.
- Resolved an issue where text was cut off in some dialogs for Finnish, Kazakh, Polish, and Ukrainian.
- In the previous update, the Welcome to ZoomText window displayed corrupted text when running ZoomText with the Chinese user interface. This has been fixed.
Getting the Updates
If your version of JAWS hasn’t offered the update to you yet, go to the JAWS help menu, then arrow to Check for Updates.
If your ZoomText/Fusion hasn’t offered the update to you yet, go to the ZoomText/Fusion menu, navigate to Manage Licenses, then Check for Updates. Note, because this is a new version entirely you will need to manually download JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion.
Tame Your Tech
Fighting with a quarrelsome computer or a stuck-up screen reader isn’t fun. I will stop the fight, then teach ya right.
Thanks and make it a great day!
WFH: Helping you tame your access technology!